Travel from Newser

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Friendly Skies: United Airlines honors $5 and $10 flights



 
Friendly skies
   ABC News reports that "The next time you're sitting on a full-price seat on a United Airlines flight, the person next to you, likely hogging your armrest too, may have paid just $5, or less."
   In this case it was because of human error blamed for improperly allowing only airport and security fees to be charged.  United Airlines, to its credit, honored the tickets.

   I was often that person flying in FIRST CLASS on vacation for only ten percent of the published lowest economy fare; i.e., basically just the tax.  Those were the good old days of working and flying Pan Am. I never bragged about it though, I always had empathy for my seat mates, fearing they would toss me out over the big blue "pond."  I believe the Beatles' Paul McCartney coined a new meaning for the word, referring to the Atlantic Ocean, when getting off of a Pan Am Clipper from London;  you can read the whole story in my book "The Fun of Flying: The Pan Am Years."

No comments:

Post a Comment